Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Parts List

Here are the parts I have as of July 24, 2012:

Gauges:


Amp Gauge (0 to 20 Amps) $3.79



Volt Gauge (0 to 20 Volts) $3.99



Temperature Gauge $10.75



I got two coaxial connectors not sure which one I am going to need, a 1 inch and a 2 inch barrel connector. These connectors cost about $8.00.

The perforated aluminum cost $24.99, this will be used as the panel cover, in which the instruments will be mounted too.

Metal used on the internal rack consisted of flat bar iron 1/8 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide, total metal came to $56 bought locally. I may have purchased more than what I will need so the internal rack may be less than that. When I get it made I will post a separate entry on it. 

The mermite can that I am using on this prototype cost $40 with $36 shipping (I think the shipping was a bit high so check around)

While taking a break in Hot Springs, I ventured into the hardware store there. Who can resist wondering around a hardware store, I was able to find a dual input power switch, which I am hoping will work to switch the radio between AC and DC power sources. I need to do some testing on this to confirm that is what this switch actually does. 


Dual input toggle switch $10.00

The radio I am going to put in this prototype is the Yaesu FT-2900R:





Capable of 75W on 2 meter, pretty simple to use and setup in the field. This is the same radio I used during Field Day for 2 meter simplex. At some point I may switch it out for a Yaseu 7900R giving dual band and better power management. Cost on the radio is $174.99.

Not factored in to the cost is the RF gasket, rubber paint for the rack, paint for the can, intake and exhaust fans, AC power supply for a radio, 1 foot of coaxial line with connectors, wiring up the panel, and paying for the wielding. 

Is it all worth it? The way I look at it is two fold. If something happens I have a chance to protect my equipment from the event. If nothing happens at all (which is fine by me) then I have a good portable case I don't have to worry about falling apart, someone placing something on it, and will survive off road in the back of a truck or on a ATV. And there is always the cool factor of taking something old and giving it a new purpose.






No comments:

Post a Comment